Hawi medecins arranges for radiography placements in Kenya Uganda, Tanzania.Rwanda,Burundi and Malawi. This program caters for radiography students and qualified radiographers from all corners of the world.
Our radiography placement program runs throughout the year and is designed to specifically suit your individual interests, to meet your course requirements, desired experience and abilities. You can do it at any stage of your radiography training or professional career.
The following are the objectives of participating in the midwifery elective program:
- The program seeks to complement the student’s theoretical knowledge with a hands-on learning experience that the students wouldn’t get in the developed world. This is evidenced from our past participants who have gained much experience than they would in their various home countries
- Opportunity to meet elective clinical requirements under the supervision of an experienced and qualified clinician. The clinician evaluates participants to this placement during and at the end of program.
- Satisfy the internship/ independent study abroad for credit.
- Compare and analyze healthcare access and delivery in a different part of the world.
- Demonstrate and satisfy global intellectual curiosity
- Give the participant an opportunity to improve on essential midwifery skills that are critical in the Family care
- This program also gives a participant a chance to practice General medicine and Midwifery in particular in a developing country.
- The program design and systems are geared towards ensuring a safe and secure experience while in Africa
- Participants are given an opportunity to meet people and communities in their day-to-day experiences, thus fostering cultural exchange and exposure in host countries.
- The program satisfies the innate human need for environment exchange thus fostering travel.
We take care of all the aspects of your placement process to ensure you have a great experience, these include: –
- Flexible travel dates (arrival and departure)
- Program specialty details
- Choice of placement location
- Identifying a suitable placement supervisor
- Accommodation at our very own resident
- Your daily upkeep requirements
- Local transport arrangements
- Health insurance
The core of the project is the immense Hands-on clinical experience that gives medical students and volunteers a rare opportunity to practice their various skills. The program can either be rural or urban based depending on your preference
Hawi Medecins is a consortium of doctors and health workers; we are the leading organizer of medical Mission and free medical and surgical camps in East Africa. You will actually have time to participate in such camps that we organize at our cost, in honor of every elective group.In addition to the core teaching and outreach project / component, all our programs have a volunteering component as a way to give back to the communities we work in; depending on the location / camp where your program is located, participants get involved in a wide range of volunteer projects, depending on their interests such as:
- Free medical camps
- Free surgical camps
- Community development, especially on healthcare and educational issues
- Wildlife conservation
- Environmental conservation
- Marine conservation
- Sports development
- Some past volunteer projects have included orphanage visits, teaching kids how to swim, visiting elementary schools and making essential donations such as books and pencils. See gallery
“In as much as our program is designed with students at the end of their midwifery study in mind; those who seek to complement their theoretical knowledge with hands-on exposure; we go the extra mile to customize the program to accommodate needs of various students. The Hawi Medecins Midwifery program runs from 2 to 6 weeks, but can be extended depending on one’s preference. Students work closely with, and under supervision of qualified midwives who then evaluate them at mid and end of their programs. There is an elective book where you will numerate the procedures done, supervisor, your supervisors comment and sign. The sessions are designed and structured to be offered in Government community health facilities. From past experiences, students who remain assertive give their extra-time to work with their mentors such as night-shifts, weekends and holidays gain much more experience.”
Depending on location, participants have the option to get involved in a wide variety of adventures, over and above the clinical and volunteering components. There are separate and optional activities that will need to be reserved separately:
- Mountain trekking at Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Kenya and Mt. Meru,Mt Elgon
- Africa safari
- Gorilla tracking
- Beach time
- Scuba diving, white water rafting, and various other marine sports
- A walking tour of Nairobi, Arusha or Mombasa and other cities
- A walking tour of Kibera Slums